1) Fyffe & Peter. The Handbook of Climbing. ISBN: 0-7207-1805-8. Pub:1990. Pelham Books. Endorsed by BMC
2) Libby Peters. Rockclimbing ? essential skills and technique. ISBN 0-9541511-1-9
3) Steve Long. Hillwalking.
4) Andy Cunningham & Allan Fyfe. Winter Skills (MLTUK) ISBN
These three books can be purchased from: http://mltuk.org/docs/books.html
5) Peter Cliff. Mountain Navigation. Sixth Edition. ISBN: 0-904405-48-6. Still the best, simplest and easiest to follow book on mountain navigation. Read it and get out and practice.
6) Richard Dawood. Traveller?s Health: How to stay healthy abroad. 2002. Oxford University Press.
7) Tony Daffern. Avalanche Safety for Mountaineers and Skiers. ISBN-13: 978-0898866476. Pub 1999 by Mountaineers Books.
8) Malcolm Thomas. Weather for Hillwalkers and Climbers. ISBN: 0-7509-1080-2. Pub 2002 by Sutton.
9) Casualty Care in Mountain Rescue edited by John Ellerton 2nd Edition. ISBN: 975-0-9501-765-7-4. Available from email@example.com” data-mce-href=”mailto:firstname.lastname@example.org“>email@example.com at £15 +p&p. Cheques payable to the ?Mountain Rescue Council?. The best mountain rescue medicine book to date.
10) Hostile Environments Supplement of the Journal of the Royal Army Medical Corps. Edited by Lt Col I Greaves. Vol:151, No4. Dec 2005. Available from RAMC Journal Publications, HQ AMS, FASC, Slim Road, Camberley, Surrey, GU15 4NP at £6 inc p&p.
11) Nigel Shepherd. The Complete Guide to Rope Techniques (A Constable Guide) 2001.
12) Jane Wilson-Howarth. Shitting Pretty.ISBN: 1-885211-47-3. Pub 2000. Publisher: Travellers Tales.
13) Kathleen Myer. How to Shit in the Woods. ISBN: 0-89815-627-0. Pub 1994 by Ten Speed Press. California
14)UIAA Medcom/ICAR Medcom. Consensus Guidelines on mountain emergency medicine and risk reduction. Edited by Fidel Elsensohn. Pub Casa Editrice Stefanoni, Leco. 2001. ISBN 88-884-29-00-X.
15)Alun Richardson. Mountaineering. Published by A&C Black, London. 1st Edition 2008.ISBN: 978 0 7136 8692 0
16) Eric Langmuir. Mountaincraft and Leadership. Third edition 2004. ISBN 1 85060 295 6
17) David McClung and Peter Shaerer. The Avalanche handbook. 3rd edition 2006. The mountaineers books. ISBN 10:0-89886-809-2
18) Tony Daffern. Avalanche safety for skiers and climbers. 2nd edition 1992. ISBN 0-938567-33-0
Video/DVD Essential Viewing
1) Winter Skills. (BMC, MC of S, MLTE). Filmed in Glencoe. You may well recognise some of the “filmstars” from our diploma course guide team. This would be a really good video to see prior to doing the Scottish course. It consists of a film of a day on the hills for two relative novices and then has instructional sections on ropework, navigation etc. Available from https://www.bmcinsurance.co.uk/shop/asp/home.asp
2.) Alpine Essentials (MC of S, BMC) filmed in Arolla. This would make really good viewing prior to the Arolla course to show you the skills that will be taught and tested. It?s the same format as Winter Skills (1) video. The section on crevasse rescue is much easier to follow and learn from on a video than from a book.
3) 11) Self Rescue for Climbers. Produced by the Plas Y Brenin team of Olly Sanders and Steve Long for Climbsafe Productions. Available for the PTB shop.
Available from https://www.bmcinsurance.co.uk/shop/asp/home.asp